Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Writing's On the Wall

Welcome Spring!
 Yesterday, my dear friend Tracy invited me 
to join her for a drive. She mentioned she was 
bringing her camera, so of course I brought mine. 
(If you've visited her remarkable blog you're acquainted with 
her gifts for photography and writing, to name a few.)
Well we were driving along, chatting away, enjoying 
a beautiful blue sky morning, when suddenly Tracy pulled into 
the driveway of our knitting friend, Ginny Space. 

Tracy making friends.
Stretching along a main road in our town, 
the Space family farm always entertains passers-by 
with its flock of grazing sheep, playful goats 
and as I saw today, excitable pink pigs running amuck!
Thanks to Tracy, this spontaneous stop brought 
this girl and her camera much joy and delight.  
I just had to share these little fellas with you. 

What other discoveries are being made this weekend? 
 George, as in Washington.
Can you spot Paul Revere? Benjamin Franklin?
This, my friends, is what remains of the first (very 
patriotic) wall paper my parents put on the walls of 
the same house my husband, A. and I presently call home.
Wanting to freshen up our first floor, this weekend 
Hubby & I are stripping wallpaper and painting
What we uncovered isn't old wallpaper stuck to the wall. 
No. Let's go back, shall we?
 When my two brothers were 5 and 3 years old 
(I'm innocent! I hadn't arrived on the scene yet) 
they managed one morning to quietly come down
the stairs of this brand new home without 
waking Mom or Dad. They proceeded to open 
a large tub of Crisco, dug in their little hands 
and began "painting" the walls
And then the cabinets, a few door knobs, 
the toilet seat...any and every thing at their height!

Uncovered 43 years later, it seems the Crisco 
transferred the ink from the wallpaper onto the sheetrock.
Seeing this lettering instantly brought back many 
happy childhood memories. Because I'll be painting 
over it I regret that I won't see this writing on the wall again. 
Well, at least I'll have these photos.
 ***
I sure wish I had a photo of the look on my Mom's face 
when she came downstairs that morning!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining me on my road-trip T.! It was a wonderful way to spend a sunny spring morning! Love the wall paper and crisco story! It does often seem that happy family memories come about because of naughty antics years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right about the naughty antics! :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story! I've never tried Crisco painting myself. Maybe I will sometime!

    Thank you for the darling photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie, I hope your Easter Sunday is truly beautiful. Who knows, maybe you'll even have a few moments to sketch or knit? :)

      Delete
  3. Do you have a story that involves eating Crisco?! Ugh!
    I do feel very lucky to spend any time at all with Tracy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lambs are adorable, what a fun day that must have been!

    Awesome job on taking the wall paper down!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely inspired me to dig in and make the change I've wanted to make for a long time. Busy prepping the walls and getting the trim painted. I'm already loving the new look and there isn't even any paint on the walls! Thanks for posting your transformation Lara - you have a long reach. :)

      Delete
  5. I love the dandelion wall decal that you faved on etsy. Are you thinking of using one in your dining room? It would look fantastic!

    BTW Im following you on Pinterest now! And yes, that means I signed up. Talk about a long reach - you are a huge influence on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! Pinterest - I'll follow you :) Funny about the dandelion wall decal, I was absolutely thinking about it for my Dining Room - how did you know that? I'm still not sure what the fate of my walls will be. Cutting in and rolling this weekend will tell me much more. :) Stay tuned! NOw, I've got to get back to Pinterest...

    ReplyDelete