Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bounty

 Simple pleasures, freshly picked. 

 Garden bounty turned succulent condiment!
Curious to try Pickled Green Tomatoes? Recipe below.

 Late summer surprises in my mailbox.

Right when I needed a friend's gentle touch, my dear friend
Cheri mailed me this delicate piece of vintage silk kimono.
The fabric is hanging in the studio because it's too beautiful 
to stuff back into the envelope, plus it reminds me of Cheri
(And, I'm not brave enough to cut into it just yet either!) 

Wait, there was more lovin' goodness in my mailbox:

 A white box & an envelope decorated with absolute TLC.
Inside the lovely box was this thick stack of pure potential! 
Rebecca Ringquist has the best goodie bundles for sale here
I've used her scraps with exciting results in everything from 
tote bags to post cards. Grab a stack and see what you can do!
I've wanted to stitch into her fun screen printed pieces,  
and now her new, irresistible Paisley Embroidery Sampler 
(foreground, above). I'm giddy at the thought of having
Rebecca's kind-hearted spirit with me as I 
stitch and sew into fabric she's already put her hand to.

I feel rich with the simple fruits of our (garden) labor, 
but especially with the fruits of friendship. 
Thank you my dear friends.


PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES

1.5 quarts white wine vinegar
1.5 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. sea salt
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 lbs. green tomatoes, any will do, 
sliced into wedges 1/2" - 3/4" thick
1/2 cup fresh tarragon leaves


In a medium sauce pan, 
combine vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic.
Bring to a boil.
Add the tomatoes.
Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, 
or until tomatoes are tender, not mushy.

Strain the tomatoes into one bowl, 
and the liquid in another bowl.
Add tarragon to the liquid.
Refrigerate until both are cool.
Spoon tomatoes into lidded glass jars,
then add liquid. 
Refrigerate up to 3 months. 

Serve with hamburgers, roast chicken, etc. 



No comments:

Post a Comment