Friday, June 24, 2011

Finally Friday!

This hydrangea is right under my window.
I could look at it for hours.

I could, but I didn't. 

Instead, this morning I sewed the backing, 
then layered and pinned the Project Linus Quilt. Hooray!
Then, I hit the wall.

I've been at a crossroads: either invest in a 
long arm, or devise a sewing table that doesn't cause 
me quilting frustration and strain. I chose the latter. 
This afternoon, I had a few DOW rigid styrofoam 
boards delivered to my house
Fairly easily, with an X-Acto knife I cut the boards 
to the length of my table, and then cut out 
the spot for my sewing machine. To match the height 
of my sewing deck I layered a 2" thick piece over 
a 1" thick piece. Voila! A large, smooth sewing surface 
in under 45 minutes, and for less than $90.00.
I can't take credit for coming up with this solution 
on my own. I saw a YouTube video of a woman building her 
sewing table this way. I can't remember the link so I hope  
my photos and brief description suffice if you want to 
make one for yourself. 
The video's last step was covering the whole surface 
with clear vinyl. I imagine I'll do that tomorrow.

I'll test drive over the weekend, and I'll keep you 
posted on the overall handling and performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment