This hydrangea is right under my window.
I could look at it for hours.
I could, but I didn't.
Instead, this morning I sewed the backing,
then layered and pinned the Project Linus Quilt. Hooray!
Then, I hit the wall.
I've been at a crossroads: either invest in a
long arm, or devise a sewing table that doesn't cause
me quilting frustration and strain. I chose the latter.
This afternoon, I had a few DOW rigid styrofoam
boards delivered to my house.
Fairly easily, with an X-Acto knife I cut the boards
to the length of my table, and then cut out
the spot for my sewing machine. To match the height
of my sewing deck I layered a 2" thick piece over
a 1" thick piece. Voila! A large, smooth sewing surface
in under 45 minutes, and for less than $90.00.
I can't take credit for coming up with this solution
on my own. I saw a YouTube video of a woman building her
sewing table this way. I can't remember the link so I hope
my photos and brief description suffice if you want to
make one for yourself.
The video's last step was covering the whole surface
with clear vinyl. I imagine I'll do that tomorrow.
I'll test drive over the weekend, and I'll keep you
posted on the overall handling and performance.