Sunday, June 12, 2011

Open Studio Sunday

Bluebird, poppies, vintage buttons and lace.
A quiet Sunday full of simple pleasures.
The gentle rhythm of handwork, the feel of old lace,
a moving needle and plenty of color.

This is the piece I began in Rebecca Ringquist's 
embroidery workshop at Squam. I'm hooked.
   
For the workshop, we were asked to bring a piece of 
found embroidery that we were willing to work back into. 
Here's a look at the work of another's capable hand 
on the piece I brought, which also became the  
inspiration for the work I've added

This picture was taken last week.  
As of today, the embroidery is finished, 
buttons secured, and lace trim tacked down 
(close up in first picture.) The piece is layered & quilted.
The binding is next.
It's feminine, tactile and unlike anything I'd have ever done 
without Rebecca's introduction and inspiration.

Gosh, this kind of work is good for my soul.
Stretching, challenging and considering new combinations 
always gives me a thrill. And while I'm still unsure of
exactly how this particular piece will be finished, 
the process has been positively addicting
and I have a feeling this is the beginning of 
a new facet of my work.

Stay tuned for the finished piece!



No comments:

Post a Comment